Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Update from Colin

To say the last few years have been an emotional roller coaster would be the understatement of the century. The ups and downs, the back and forth... It has all been a process, and Heather has taken it in stride. About a week ago, we were told Heather has PTLD (transplant-related cancer) in her brain. We were transferred 3 miles across town to UPMC Shadyside. There, we were given her options for treatment. Everyone knows Heather is a complicated case, one that takes some of the best medical minds in the world to decipher. Together we discussed 3 different types of chemotherapy, and/or radiation. All have benefits and drawbacks. Chemo is tough on the heart and kidneys and leaves the body ripe for infection. The body can only take so much, and hers has been through the ringer. Radiation is a relatively painless process and much more targeted to a specific area, vs. chemo that travels throughout the blood stream. The decision was made to go forth with radiation. Radiation has its downsides.  It can leave you tired, run down, and there are concerns about long-term cognitive issues. Honestly, when it came down to it, it wasn't much of a decision.  Dr. Lieberman said Heather's body is not strong enough for chemotherapy.  In his words, "It might kill her."  The treatment plan is this: 10 treatments over two weeks, Monday through Friday, with the weekends off. As I write this we have 2 treatments in the books. I look into her eyes and see the woman I married behind them, knowing full well she can hear and she knows what I'm saying. It's just a battle for her to reply. I've said it before and will continue to say how much this girl impresses me. She is strong, caring, with spirit that won't quit and a heart of gold. Through all of this, she will prevail. Failure is not an option and neither of us know the meaning of the word quit. 

Thank you to everyone for all the support and prayers all of you are amazing.  

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing information, if you are interested in postpartum care products, please find out the information below.


    https://thuonghieudangcap.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful for this blog to distribute knowledge about this significant topic. Here I found different segments and now I am going to use these new instructions with new enthusiasm.กิน เห็ด หลิน จื อ ยี่ห้อ ไหน ดี

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enthusiastic beginning is very common in every sector when anyone enters into a new world. But it is very hard to keep such enthusiasm for a long time after huddles come out from invited sources. Read this blog and know more about this topic.ถัง เช่า สี ทอง

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes is becomes very hard to take appreciation for your hard work. But sometime only few technical point makes your work worthwhile. Suggestion under this blog is quite good.อาหารบำรุงตับ

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be interesting to join such an aggressive and real discussion with readers of this blog as well as readers of other blogs or websites who really thing that they can express more related to this topic.ประโยชน์ เห็ด หลิน จื อ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surprising background experienced in everything sentence of this article. I made a decent attempt to get hint about how I could demonstrate substance of this blog. I must say, not much powerful but rather I surrendered every one of my weapons soon after understanding it.อาหารเสริมเพิ่มนำ้หนัก

    ReplyDelete
  7. I welcome all the suggestion mentioned in this blog related to new learning skills. It is definitely going to help me to adopt new exited way of learning. I think, others will also feel helpful this blog for their needs.วิตามิน vistra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somewhere the content of the blog surrounded by little arguments. Yes it is healthy for readers. They can include this kind of language in their writing skill as well as while group discussion in college.ถั่ง เช่า ราคา

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometime few educational blogs become very helpful while getting relevant and new information related to your targeted area. As I found this blog and appreciate the information delivered to my database.วิตามิน เพิ่ม น้ำ หนัก

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is very informative. Eating mindfully has been very hard for people these days. It's all because of their busy schedules, work or lack of focus on themselves. As a student I must admit that I have not been eating mindfully but because of this I will start now. It could help me enjoy my food and time alone. Eating mindfully may help me be aware of healthy food and appreciating food.อาหารเสริม Growth Hormone

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading this blog, I would like to demand more articles again and again. I am feeling myself as satisfy by got to know these all such information which never came to my knowledge. Please writer more.zermix forte cream

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came to this blog and it helped me to add few new points to my knowledge. Actually, I am trying to learn new thing wherever I find. Impressive written blog and valuable information shared here.เห็ด ถั่ง เช่า สี ทอง

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing nice information with us. I really liked this part of the article, This is truly awesome article.
    Senior living communities near me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Burn fat fast! This incredible weight loss pill works for both male and female athletes by accelerating the metabolism, burning fat at an accelerated rate.
    weight loss pills for sale canada

    ReplyDelete