Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Friday March 24 - Happy Anniversary to Me!!!

One year ago today I received a call I never thought I would get!!!  Mary Roberts called and told me not to leave Pittsburgh for the weekend like planned and that they may have an organ for me!!!  She Called to tell us that around 8pm on the 23rd.  I was going through a mix of emotions.  We went to bed (obviously too excited and nervous to actually sleep).  Around 1:30am, we got the call to come to the hospital and
That they were going to prep me for surgery.  We called my family and let them know.  Everyone headed out to Pittsburgh to be here for me.  

We went to the hospital.  They gave me a room and prepped me for surgery.  Dr. Cruz came in and went over everything with us.  He said it would be a couple of hours until surgery and that they were sending someone to harvest the organ and make sure it was viable.  He said that there's a 50/50 chance they could transplant. My family arrived and hung out with me.  None of us got any sleep.  The anticipation of what was happening was killing us.  It was a long wait.  We waited until noon.  The feelings I was having were overwhelming.  It all felt like a dream and that it wasn't happening.  Dr. Cruz came in and told Colin and I that they were doing the transplant and that the organ is a perfect match!!!!   I said goodbye to my family one by one and Colin.  They wheeled me back and that's all I remember at that point.  

The transplant was a success.  Surgery took about 17 hours.  A few hours after surgery I had a GI bleed so they had to go back in and operate.  Dr. Cruz operated and it was successful.  

I woke up the next day in the Transplant ICU.  My dad gave me a white board so I could communicate because I couldn't talk being intubated.  The first thing I wrote was thank you.  
 
Recovery went pretty well.  I was hospitalized for about a month.  Eating my first real solid food was the best feeling ever.  Turkey, mashed potatoes and green beans.
 

When I was discharged it was surreal.  Everything felt like a dream still.  I kept asking Colin if it really happened.   I couldn't believe it.  

In the months to come I had several set backs and was hospitalized a lot.  Ironically the majority of the hospitalizations weren't transplant related.  I had a pulmonary embolism (blood clot) in my lung, PRESS (seizures), and the biggest setback is the PTLD (cancer).  We are still fighting and aren't giving up!!

I don't think I would be where I am without the support of my family and friends.  Colin has been amazing and I don't know what I would do without him.  He has been my caretaker, my rock, my sounding board, my supporter, my positive influence, my motivator, my pain in the butt at times and my love.  There's no way I would have made it through this without him. 

My parents have been supportive in so many ways.  They come to Pittsburgh as much as possible to visit and to give Colin a break.  Amber has been awesome.  She has come to visit several times and I talk to her every day.  She makes sure I'm ok and calls in the evening so I can FaceTime with Carter and Caden.  It always makes me happy to see and talk to the boys.  Shawn and Courtney have come to visit a couple of times.  We always have a good time when they visit.  He likes to spoil me.   Dana hasnt come to visit much because her job is hectic but we talk and text.  There have been a couple times where she talked me off a ledge.

Cyndee has been wonderful!  She has supported us in so many ways.  She has come to Pittsburgh to stay with me.  She even took on the burden of our monster dogs.  That was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.  It was great knowing that they were safe and being well cared for.  She calls daily for updates and to see how I'm feeling.  Brooke and David have been great too.  They have been a huge help on so many levels.   I have the best family you could ask for!  I don't know what I would do without them.  

My friends are my family as well.  Each and every one of you know who you are.  The list that I would have to make individually would blow up my computer :) !!
My friends have sent me care packages, held fundraisers, made visits to Pittsburgh, talked me off many ledges and supported us in so many ways I can't describe it!  Thank you!!!

So.....here's to one year!!!   Cheers!!!  I can't have a drink but you can have one and make a toast to me!!!  I love you all!!!

Thank you!  Thank you!  Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment