Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Tuesday Dec 8 cont'd

After my appointment my phone was ringing off the hook.  Everyone wanted an update on what was going on and they wanted details.  

Here is what we found out.  Because it's an isolated small bowel and because of my blood type they will be putting at the top of the list.

Once they have a donor they will call and tell me and tell me when I need to be at the hospital.  Once I'm there it could take them anywhere from 4-12 hours to get the organ out of the donor and to get it to Pittsburgh.  At this point, they determine whether or not the organ is viable.  He said I'm young, strong and healthy so he wants to give me the perfect organ.  With the small bowel they can't tell if it's healthy until they go in to remove it.  There's a good chance that we could get called several times until they find the perfect organ.  

If everything looks good with the organ they will prep me for surgery.  Surgery will take 7-10 hours.  They will cut me from my breast bone straight down to my groin.  They will close up my current illeostomy and move it to the bottom left of my abdomen.  I will have a feeding tube as well as three drains coming out of my abdomen.  The feeding tube and drains are temporary.  I will only have them for a few months up to six months.  Dr. Cruz is fairly confident that he can re-attach everything and possibly transplant a portion of colon as well.  If he can, he will close up the illeostomy and I will have normal bowel function and the use of my rectum again.  We are praying that this is the case.  It would be wonderful to be able to get rid of the bag.  That has been the hardest thing for me to get used to through all of this.

Recovery from surgery is going to take months but it's all going to be worth it!  

I am nervous and excited to move forward with the transplant.  It's going to be a lot but I know I can do it with the love, support and prayers of my family and friends.  We can do this together!!  

After my appointment yesterday I ran to Target to get my medicine refills because they were finally ready.  I stopped at the Redbox and grabbed two movies.  I went home and put on my fluids.  I actually fell asleep on the couch for a half hour.  Then Colin and I watched Trainwreck.  It had some pretty funny parts in it.  It was worth checking out.  After the movie I got ready for bed and put on my tpn.  I went to bed.  I fell asleep around 10 and was up at 4.  I will post more later today.  Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment